Skip to main content

THOUGHT: Cursing/Profanity - Unnecessary Language

Hello, Everyone. donovin here, with today's thought:



THOUGHT: Cursing/Profanity - Unnecessary Language


This isn't an easy one to write about. Some people are probably rolling their eyes or share the sentiment of the lady in the picture of the left.

That's okay and I understand, but I wanted to share my thoughts about unnecessary language of cursing as I've known it growing up and it's so called proper name, profanity.



Dictionary's meaning:

verb (used without object)

to use profanity; curse; swear.

verb (used with object)

to swear at; curse: He cussed the pedestrian for getting in his way.
to criticize or reprimand in harsh terms (often followed by out): The coach cussed out the team for losing.


Synonyms for profanity



God's Word on the subject (just a few scriptures)
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. (James 3:9-10)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  (Philippians 4:8).
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4)
I know that some of you reading this blog may not want to consider God in the picture. My thoughts are if He created us, then there has to be a reason He is against us using profanity. 

My Personal Conviction
I learned profanity from the adults who were angry about something. The ‘casual’ conversations they had with no regard to what my ears were collecting. 
I learned from the other children that imitated others around them. I learned it from the culture of the world through movies and television. Even though the media was tame back then in the late 70’s into the 80’s.
I felt like I became a professional profanity speaker by age 12 and knew it when my mother heard me cursing a family member walking through the basement (I thought I was alone).
By the time my youngest sister was born I started schooling my mom on Hip-Hop lyrics as I put scratch tape on the B-side of a 45 for LL Cool J’s, “Dear Evette”. I knew that song by heart, but I didn’t want my younger sister to!
In my writing stories in middle school, every character cursed. In the raw beginnings of me writing poetry I cussed. It even got to a point where I started looking up other cuss words. Now they really weren’t cuss words. Just ‘higher educated’ sounding words to insult or belittle people. I decided because of God and all the negative and careless energy I sent using curse words was useless. Do I still want to use them? Yes.  Do I still know them all? Yes.  Said to say because I am a parent and try to keep up with the times, there are more with the same meaning behind them.

 
An Interaction with a co-worker 
At one time, I was working in a factory where there were a lot of young people in their late teens into their 20’s. 
I had to have a conversation with one young man about his response to me asking him about something. He called me a B***H jokingly and went on his way. 
To him it was nothing, but I explained to him, doing that to people you don’t know or don’t know you was not good. I knew he was joking. But he also knows now I do not like to be called that.

TO SUM IT UP

As a person, you decide how you speak to people and about them. You can be like Luke
Skywalker and use the ‘Force’ or linger in the ‘Dark’ side. Remember, the dark side has consequences deeper than we can imagine. Believe me...positive, honest and kind words still pick a pouch. We don’t know what ears can hear those cuss words we can say and I hope you don’t want them thrown back at you. I know I don’t. So I choose not to say them in the first place.

What about YOU?
  • Thinking about all this, what do you think? 
  • Are you a professional wordsmith of cussing?
  • If you are, can you think of a better way to speak your mind and heart?
  • Do you want to do as the world does or thrive to be different?

That's my thoughts for today. Let me know what you think. I would love to hear your thoughts. 

 

I know you're thinking something, don't curse me out.

 

If you think this can help out someone...please share it.



Thank you,
donovin - P&S



Do you like eBooks? You can browse through a variety of books in my digital stores:
Reasonable
Check Out other Book Reviews of books I have read:
 
👕 Into T - shirts and mugs? Browse my Designs store at: donovin_4_designs 

💻 Interested in starting a Home Business? SIDE HUSTLE





Comments

  1. Powerful words on a very important matter. We are what we believe in our heart and unfortunately as you stated all too early we heard and adopted profanity or as some call it "Strong language" as a way of expressing certain emotions. My mom used to say " Shhh be careful they're little ears in the room'. Or Little pictures have big ears"! Even Don't come in the room when grown ups are talking". She did her best to protect our ear gates but as you said; its on the media, in schools, work places. Profanity, so not necessary but so present in our daily lives.

    Great job! It may seem like a small matter to some but after all.isn't it the little things that count? Or make a difference?
    What's in the heart comes up and out for the heart is the seat of all emotions. Maybe we should be asking God to Create in us a clean heart and renew within us a right Spirit (Psalm 51:10) then we don't be a need to express ourselves using profanity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THOUGHT: Fear Or Faith......Which One Are You Holding Onto?

Hello, Everyone. donovin here, with today's thought: FEAR Or  FAITH ......Which One Are You Holding Onto? With all the concerns about COVID-19, I see there is a sense of fear going around. When I go to the grocery store and see people with masks on, I wonder if they are infected. Then they look at me without a mask as if I am doomed. There is a lot of mixed emotions about the whole thing and at the end of the day, the choice of how you react to the virus is yours. Before I thought of the question and title of today's thought...I was thinking of something my mother used to do with my younger sister and me. How our Mother would take us to the Video store (VHS) and would rent these cheesy zombie movies. You know these movies. The movie that would have you laughing on the floor beginning to end! Not with my Mother. My sister and I would be eating popcorn in front of the 25-inch console TV (revealing old age) on the grossest parts of the movie. I'd look bac

THOUGHT: The Direction of Your Anger (My George Floyd Reaction)

Hello, Everyone. donovin here, with today's thought:  The Direction of Your Anger (My George Floyd Reaction)  First of all, I want to send my condolences to the family and friends of George Floyd. My prayers and heart goes out to you for your loss. May God give you strength, His love, and comfort during this time. You lost a family member and/or a friend. The world lost another black man taken away from us too soon and his absence will be missed. Though I did not know George, He was/is someone's Father, Son, Brother, Uncle, Friend, etc. And his absence from the Black community and nation has been felt since his passing. I sent the past week remembering the fears of my mother and how she'd stress to me dealing with the police and statistics of black men being murdered or locked up in prison. that I would be lucky to reach 35 years old based on statistics at that time. Thank God for me beating those statistics, but there is unrest for black men in what is call